Thursday, August 31, 2006

Blithering of the Damned

Well, it is almost the last day here at our local town library. The library will be closing soon for renovations, alas. I came in feeling very irked, mostly because any time I spend a significant amount of minutes in this hell town I end up feeling like I'm losing my mind. Not to mention that you deal with only two sets of people here in Peyton Place, snobby white fuckers who think a bad day is when Starbucks is out of latte foam, or else pissed off minorities who hate the snobby white fuckers. Me, I'm a white fucker, but of the kinder variety, and hey, it's all good, especially after a few Cosmopolitans.

Speaking of that, there is an interesting section in Maureen Dowd's Are Men Necessary in which Monica Lewinsky, she of The Blowing of the President fame, strides around some D.C. bar sipping a Cosmopolitan. She spies Dowd and hisses at her for writing "nasty" things about her in her column. Why did you do it? she demands. Dowd is left more or less speechless, finally coming up with, "I don't know." It's an interesting little story, as Dowd describes her as having "blazing confidence" and then writes that later that night Lewinsky apparently had a meltdown in the bathroom with her publicist. While on the obligatory cell phone, of course. What I have never understand about the sordid impeachment tale (and a most unncessary one to my way of thinking) is why Lewinsky told Linda Tripp about it in the first place. I guess it was too juicy a tale not to?? And then I am left speechless pondering why Tripp told anyone at all -- allegedly to protect herself, as I recall. But wouldn't staying silent have been the most protection of all? I am confused here, people. Any thoughts? Or maybe it's all water under the bridge. I think it was just a disgusting episode in history, especially with the infamous stained dress and the way Ken Starr acted as the morality police. Clinton didn't exactly comport himself well, either. All in all a sorry little blip on the historical radar screen.

So, Dowd's book is very good, if you are interested in finding out if men are necessary. Methinks they are, although the Y chromosome is on the decline, my sweets, and in a hundred thousand years or so (my number may be way off) men may disappear entirely. A planet ruled entirely by women, hmm! I guess we'd all have to become lesbians whether or not we felt inclined, or would sexual orientation automatically change as well? What a fascinating scenario!

Ah, well. You can see it's been a bit of a day for me. I hope you're having a better one. The sun is shining nicely though, and I got to eat, which is always a plus. Some folks did not, and that's a fact. Now I sound like your mother, guilt engineering you into eating your peas.

Eat your peas, folks. Then eat some chocolate.

Be well, and give hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home